Tuesday, May 28, 2013

May Conservation Tip


 

Of course, the first thing that drew my attention to Kicking Horse Coffee was the name...
Kicking Horse...anything with horse in it sounds intriguing to me.

Legend has it that in the summer of 1858, James Hector went through a rugged and beautiful valley nearby, now called Kicking Horse Valley. During a river crossing one of the pack horses kicked Hector so hard, that he was believed to be dead. As they started to bury him, they noticed his eyes twitching. And a stiff cup of Kick Ass Coffee brought him back to life....I had heard that story before, the coffee ending though, was new to me...;-)
But in any way the perfect name for a Coffee Company located right next to that rugged and beautiful valley!

After checking out the Kicking Horse Coffee, I found much more intriguing facts than "just" a good name:

Kicking Horse Coffee

1. is Organic - Kicking Horse Coffee currently meets or exceeds national Organic certification requirements in Canada, the United States and in Europe.(1)

2. is Fair Trade - Kicking Horse is the largest Fair Trade roaster in Canada. All their coffee is 100% Certified Fair Trade (1)

3. is Shade Grown - why is that important? Growing coffee in the shade means growing coffee under a light canopy of varied vegetation at high altitudes. This creates a superior coffee cherry (bean) and a more resilient ecosystem. A healthy ecosystem attracts birds, who assist in the cross-pollination of cherries and the distribution of beans and seeds, enhancing plant distribution and diversity.(1)

4. comes in lots of different roasts to choose from


5. is actively involved in the community and in environmental projects. One of my favorite coffees, the medium bodied Jumbo Wild for example, helps to raise awareness to the issue of keeping the Jumbo Valley wild and hence supports the Jumbo Creek Conservation Society (JCCS). But it doesn't stop there, Kicking Horse Coffee also support the Nature Conservancy, Habitat for Humanity, Idle-Free BC, Wildsight and many more!


6. features a great design, here just a few examples. Although not that important for coffee, for me as an artist it is just pleasing to see a real catching design...


7. has a 16 oz ceramic travel mug, something I was looking for since quite a while. OK, that doesn't matter that much either, but I was really happy to finally find one...


8. is local, at least for me. Not the coffee beans of course, the coffee plants wouldn't do too well in a climate where it still snows in May....;-), but the roasting facility.

BTW, for all of you that are not so fortunate to live here, Kicking Horse Coffee is available online, even on amazon.

9. has put together some health aspects...always good to have some points in your sleeve when you get verbally attacked by non-coffee drinkers...

10. although I would not put it quite that drastically, has a motto I thoroughly agree with...;-):


Oh, and I almost forgot, minor detail: Kicking Horse Coffee tastes really good...

I am not affiliated with Kicking Horse Coffee in any way, everybody who knows me, knows that I had a strong liking for a certain chain coffee company...but I found it really exciting to find a company so close by that incorporates everything I am looking for.
I just want to share and support that and spread the word.

Not so much a Conservation Tip as more highlighting a company that actually practices conservation!


(1) from the Kicking Horse Coffee website


No comments:

Post a Comment