Friday, July 2, 2010

July Conservation Tip

" The chief characteristic of civilization is the sacrifice of the future for the present"
- William James, Harvard Professor, 1890 -

Every once in a while I get "Rootstock", a news magazine that is put together by Organic Valley, I guess I must have signed up for it somewhere. Usually I just quickly browse through it, take out the coupons and then put it in the recycling bin. This time however, on my coupon hunt, I stumbled upon this quote. That, I thought, sounds rather interesting. And before I knew it, I was reading a captivating article about the World Food Plan. Never heard about it? Well, that's ok, since there is non...And the article does not provide one, BUT makes one thinking about an issue that we are easily forget in out daily worry about global climate change, oil spill and else, the issue about global hunger. Again the article does not provide solutions, but thoughts and ideas, that actually could help develop a "World Food Plan".
I know, you don't have the time....but if you can carve out 2 or 3 minutes, I urge you to read the Rootstock article.

Coming just back from the Palouse, photographing the beautiful rolling hills of monoculture wheat and crop dusters flying from sunrise to sunset, this article really hit a nerve.

So, this months conservation tip is not much of a tip , but more an encouragement to think about what we eat and how it gets produced.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you could fill a whole calendar with these images! Can't wait to see them in bigger format.

    ReplyDelete